Wednesday, October 14, 2009
Woods and Federer
Many people choose their friends because they have something in common. This is usually like a favorite sport, hobby, or general interest. It's not common that that common connection is being a modern legend in your own sport. Not only are they both experts in their sports but they also have a little competition between themselves. They have both won many major titles and Woods is only one major title behind Federer. Needless to say, it's just a friendly competition. Through Nike advertising and Gillette commercials, Woods and Federer have gotten to know each other. They have invited each other to watch themselves play tournaments and over time, they have grown to respect and admire the other persons skill and determination. A determination that they find in themselves as well. Their relationship has grow far beyond the realm of sports. When Federer and his wife were thinking about starting a family, he called Woods, a father of two, to ask for his advice. Their friendship has moved past the publicity and drama of normal celebrity friendships to what is a true friendship. They have been able to offer support to one another as they both struggle with the publicity of being one of the best professional athletes of all time. They have an unlikely friendship, but at the same time, they show everyone else how two people are able to come from completely different backgrounds and support and care for each other.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I think that it is great for athletes to be friends with their competitors. It shows that a person is a good sport and can forget about the competition when they are done. When I was competing every other weekend against the same group of people I made friends with them. We used to get together for lunch or wait around in the warm up arena and talk. Of course when I was competing my focus was doing my best and winning, but as I watched them ride I wanted them to do their best also.
ReplyDelete